More to follow
A Mokuzai Evergreen Samurai
The mokuzai are tree spirits who were created to defend forests, jungles and plant life of all kinds.
The youngest and most restless of the mokuzai migrated to Kes, long before even the Great Spirit War, when it was discovered that the oni had found a way through the Dragon Paths to the unspoiled wilderness of Kes.
Filled with anger at what they saw, they younger mokuzai demanded that the Matriarchs declare war on the oni. The Matriarchs refused, claiming that the forests and jungles of the Spirit World were far more important than that of a single world. It is not known if the Matriarchs had foreseen the eventual outcome of their refusal to make war upon the oni outside of the Spirit World, but what is known is that the vast majority of the mokuzai travelled the Dragon Paths to Kes and began their war.
The vicious war lasted only a few short years, but the younger mokuzai soon discovered that they were ill-prepared for the rigours of war. To their horror, however, they were unable to return to the Spirit World. The few short years that they had spent on Kes were enough to have severed the spiritual link that they had had and now were forevermore creatures of the material world.
Think: Beautiful; Driven; Hunters; Tree Spirits.
Mokuzai have two basic forms: a beautiful human female or handsome human male that has the slightest scent of pine, cherry blossoms or flowers…or a tree.
The average adult ranges in height from 5’ to 6’6”. They normally weigh anywhere from 80 to 180 pounds. Their skin colors include shades of blue, green, red, white, and grey and almost always bears patterns of one of the other color tones.
Most mokuzai are female (80%).
The formation and coloring differ from individual to individual, sometimes taking on the appearance of veins. This color pattern is most prominent on the face. They create minute amounts of oxygen on their own within their own blood stream. This has no game effect. They have no body hair when in tree form, but can in human form. Normal eye colors include green, blue, violet, purple, silver, gray, or more rarely red. While they generally have soft and supple, leaflike scales that are most prominent on their head, as they age, some take on a harder wooden appearance, while others appear to become more human-looking.
A Mokuzai Masquerader
- Low-light vision.
- Immunity to all mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, morale effects, patterns, and phantasms).
- Immunity to paralysis, non-magical poison, polymorph, sleep effects, and stunning.
- Must breathe, eat and drink, but does not sleep. The mokuzai must still rest/meditate as per normal to regain spells, class abilities, etc.
- Taint Resistance 10 (improves by 1 per 2 character levels)
- +10 racial bonus to Stealth in wooded/plant-heavy environment.
- +4 racial bonus to Perception.
- +4 racial bonus to Initiative.
- +4 natural armour bonus
- Damage Reduction 2/Piercing
- Vulnerability to Fire : Mokuzai take half again as much (+50%) damage as normal from fire, regardless of whether a saving throw is allowed, or if the save is a success or failure.
- Aura of Cleansing (Su):
- Mokuzai are innately pure and able to cleanse taint from the environment around them.
- Any taint that the mokuzai is infected with is automatically reduced by 1 point per day.
- All taint gained by a place, person or object while the mokuzai is within 10 feet of the source of the taint is reduced by 1 per 4 character levels of the mokuzai.
- In addition, the mokuzai may focus their purifying energies to absorb and clean 1 point of taint per day from a place, person or object within 10 feet. This last application of the Aura transfers the taint to the mokuzai who is able to clean their own taint over time.
- Nature Sense (Ex):
- A mokuzai can identify plants and animals (their species and special traits) with perfect accuracy. The mokuzai can determine whether water is safe to drink.
- Tree Shape (Sp):
- A mokuzai may assume the form of a Large tree at will.
- Health of Nature’s Garden (Ex):
- A mokuzai in a forest, jungle or otherwise surrounded in its immediate area by more than 50 square feet of plant life gains Regeneration 1 (fire, acid) while in that locale.
- Speak with Plants (Su) :
- Mokuzai can Speak with Plants as per the spell, constantly.
- Woodland Stride (Su) :
- A mokuzai may move through natural thorns, briars, overgrown areas and similar terrain at its normal speed and without suffering damage or impairment, as per the druid ability.
- Trackless Step (Ex):
- Mokuzai leave no trails in natural surroundings and cannot be tracked.
- Spell Access (Ex) :
- Arcana Evolved Caster: Mokuzai spellcasters always have access to complex plant spells, even if they normally have access only to simple spells via their class.
- Pathfinder or 3.5 Caster: Mokuzai spellcasters always cast all spells related to plants at +1 caster level.
- Forest Sense (Su) :
- At 8th level, a mokuzai can attune itself to the forest or jungle and sense anything that the trees and other plants are aware of at a radius of one mile per level, for up to one minute per level. This ability only grants awareness of what is occurring at the time it is activated, not of anything that may have occurred earlier. For example, the mokuzai would be aware of a tree with a broken branch, but would not know what had broken it unless the breakage occurred while the mokuzai was using its Forest Sense. Activating Forest Sense is a full round action that requires total concentration. This ability may be used one per every three levels per day, plus the mokuzai’s modifier.
- Lignification (Su) : Once per day/5 character levels, you can turn a creature into wood. As a full round action, you may direct your gaze against a single creature within 30 feet. The targeted creature (along with all its carried gear) must make a Fortitude save or turn into a mindless, inert statue made out of wood for a number of rounds equal to 1/2 your character level. This ability otherwise functions as a flesh to stone spell, except the target turns to wood instead of stone. This can be reversed by any effect that can reverse flesh to stone. The DC save is modified by the mokuzai’s Wisdom modifier.